Trader Vic’s Mai Tai (Original)
Trader Vic’s Mai Tai, the quintessential “Tiki” cocktail, is a polynesian favorite. Invented in 1944 at the Trader Vic’s restaurant in Oakland, California, this shaved ice sweet and sour concoction evokes images of white sand Tahitian beaches and Hawaiian sunsets. Although not a trendy drink with the younger crowd, the Mai Tai’s popularity as a vacation libation has secured it’s place in the cocktail Hall of Fame.
Trader Vic’s Mai Tai Ingredients (Original)
Trader Vic’s Mai Tai Recipe (Original)
- 2 oz 17-year old J. Wray & Nephew Rum
- 1/2 oz French Garnier Orgeat Syrup
- 1/2 oz Holland DeKuyper Orange Curaçao
- 1/4 oz Trader Vic's Rock Candy Syrup
- Juice from one fresh lime
- 1 cup cubed ice
- 1 cup shaved ice
- Combine rum, lime juice, orange curaçao, rock candy syrup, orgeat syrup and cubed ice into a cocktail shaker and shake vigorously (and we mean VIGOROUSLY, it truly makes the difference between a good Mai Tai and a great Mai Tai). Strain into an old fashioned glass over shaved ice and garnish with a sprig of mint.
Additional Mai Tai Recipes
→ If you liked this Trader Vic’s Mai Tai, try more of our favorites on our Mai Tai Recipes page.